Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Where Am I?

Home truly is where the heart is. I have lived in the same house, on the same street, and in the same town since I was born. My humble abode is located at 205 Donegal Road in Aurora, NE. Everything about my house simply makes me smile. From the memories of me and my sisters to the ugly flowered couch and chair that sat on our burgundy carpet up until a couple years ago. Although we hated this disgusting looking burgundy carpet, we all missed it once it was gone. Growing up, my sisters and I loved swinging on the swing set that my dad built and sliding down the slip’n’slide for hours each summer. Although I have lived in the same house my whole life, about a week ago I discovered something about it that I never knew. My house was originally built for a lady in a wheel chair. This may explain why the doors are a little wider and the counters are a little shorter.  After she decided to not buy the house, my parents bought it. When growing up I would often describe where I lived by “the hill”. But, most people called it “snob hill”. Simply I would describe my house as the brick house with Christmas lights still up in July and the old, rusty pickup truck in the drive way.
My house resides in Aurora, Nebraska. Aurora is considered the Home of the Huskies. I am very proud to have been raised in such an amazing little town. I come from a town where everyone knows everyone and rumors travel fast. I come from a town where last names matter and the “best kids” receive all the glory. Even though some of these things aren’t the best qualities to have in a town, most people are able to look past them and focus on the best qualities of Aurora. Our town seems to always have something new being constructed. Our school puts their money into things that will help kids reach their maximum potential from the splash pad and the soon to be new pool to the PAC, new football field, and new softball complex. Our community strives to make our community as amazing as it is so that once we all grow up, we will bring our families back to the wonderful town of Aurora. I love everything about Aurora and I could most definitely see myself living in a small community similar to Aurora for the rest of my life.
                Another place to describe where I am would be my school. I have spent years of my life in the Aurora Public Schools. School has simply become a home away from home. I am not looking forward to saying goodbye to this school district in May. Although, I have gotten senioritis, I will miss my school, my teachers, and my classmates. I have had many glories while in school and also some times that I’m not so proud of. Although the Aurora Public Schools have made my school years great, it is time to say goodbye to high school and hello to college. Ever since my mom got remarried to a New-Yorker, I thought that I would love to move to New York City and live the “fantastic” lives that all New-Yorkers live. Yes, I do love all the buzz of the city and believe it or not, the people of the city, but I have decided that I am truly a small town girl. Instead of applying to colleges in New York, I found myself applying to colleges in Nebraska. I truly love my state and would not have wanted to grow up anywhere else.
                I come from the most loving family that a girl could ask for. I come from a family that believes that the house needs to be clean 24/7. I come from a family that eats dinner together every night. I come from a family that loves to travel. My parents have a passion for traveling, which consequently makes me have a passion for traveling. I am fortunate enough to travel to many places each and every year. I believe that each place I have traveled has made me realize how fortunate I am to live where I do. I love our annual skiing/snowboarding trip. I love our annual visits to the Caribbean. I love traveling to New York every couple of months to visit my family that lives there.
                Even though I no longer plan to attend a college in New York, I do sometimes wonder what it would be like to live in Omaha or Kansas City. Some days I believe that I could see myself there when I am older, but I always seem to think back to how amazing it has been to grow up in a small community like Aurora, NE. I would love for my children to get all of the same great opportunities that I have gotten. I would not trade my family, my house, my street, my town, and my state for anything.

1 comment:

  1. Beth, I love your perspective of having lived in a small town your whole life but with the experience of living in a city, too, and that you contemplate the thought of some day living in a city. I can see you in a city; people will love you for your small town ways!

    Dr. English

    ReplyDelete