Saturday, November 24, 2012

What is my Purpose?



Purpose. Definition: The object toward which one strives or for which something exists; an aim for a goal. I believe that the key to purpose is finding yours and making your dreams come true. Currently my purpose is to make it through high school alive. If I am able to accomplish this, the next step of my purpose will be making it through college alive and then simply making it through the rest of my life alive. When I think about my future, I picture myself being a very successful young woman that achieves all I could ever dream of. To me, success is not how much money you make, but simply doing something you love exceedingly well.
Since I am focused on making it through high school alive, I need to focus on my goals and not let any silly drama get in my way. School is very important to me and I value getting good grades. I hope to be at the top of my class when May 12th of 2013 hits. Although I work hard in school and strive to get good grades, I am a teenager that needs to go out and have fun sometimes. Currently, I am trying to be the best daughter, sister, friend, girlfriend, student, employee, and role model that I can be. I strive each and every day to make each person in my life proud of each move I make. I am not one that likes upsetting people with my choices that I make. I know that I am far from perfect, but I try to be everything everyone wants me to be.
When asked about my plans for the future I feel as if I know exactly what I want to do with the rest of my life, but yet I feel completely lost at the same time. Of course I plan to attend college, but the college that will be receiving my money is still to be determined. I absolutely love Wesleyan University in Lincoln, Nebraska. It would be a dream come true to attend Wesleyan for my undergraduate school, but when reality hits, money simply is an issue. I do not want to graduate college with a mound of student loans and debt. If I am able to get enough scholarships, I will most likely attend Wesleyan next fall. Although the college I will be attending is still up in the air, my major is not. I plan to major in biology on the pre-med track and minor in business management.
After I graduate college with a bachelor’s degree in Biology I hope I am fortunate enough to attend Medical School. I do believe that part of my purpose is to serve people. Since starting high school, I have been laser-focused on achieving my goal of attending medical school. Becoming a medical professional is important to me for many reasons. First, I have a scientific mind. I love my math and science courses. It is an area that I feel very gifted in. Second, I love helping people. It is my greatest joy to provide a helping hand. Third, I want to make a difference. Medicine is undergoing tremendous change. I want to be part of building a new medical community of 2020 and beyond. I believe that medical school would be a great fit for me. About two weeks ago I saw a cadaver; yes a dead body that has been skinned for teaching and research reasons, and it was simply the coolest thing that I have ever seen. Not many girls could say that a skinned dead person was interesting. I know that I will be able to make it through medical school and residency because I already don’t sleep at night.
If I actually attend and graduate medical school, I would love to be an anesthesiologist. Yes, an anesthesiologist is my dream job. I honestly don’t know why since there is such a high risk of killing someone accidentally each and every day and long hours of being on call almost every night. I guess that I am just simply up for the challenge. Yes, it takes about 12 years of schooling, but I believe I can do it if I put my mind to it. I would love to live in a small town and raise a wonderful family, but also I see myself living in a big city and traveling the world each year. I guess when the time comes I will have to decide which life I really want to live.
I am one that believes each decision you make has an impact on the rest of your life. I believe that my purpose is to live the life that I want to live, not the life that other people want me to life. I need to be my own person and not try to be anyone else. I am one that sort of gets frustrated when I don’t have everything planned out. I am one that plans everything and sticks to that exact plan. I have been really frustrated lately about not knowing exactly where I am going or what I am doing next year. My parents keep telling me that I do not need to know my whole life right now. I am trying to tell myself that everything will work out and I just need to live one step at a time.

1 comment:

  1. Beth,

    I have no doubt you will make a great doctor or an anesthesiologist! As my neighbor Tim Arthur always said, "I pass gas!" He's so funny! You would be so careful with other people's lives! I would want you to be my anesthesiologist! Good luck at Wesleyan next year!

    Dr.English

    ReplyDelete